Hawaii is now welcoming back visitors with its pre-travel testing program, allowing travelers from out-of-state to proceed without the 14-day quarantine if they test negative for COVID-19 before they arrive in the islands. Some further restrictions vary by island, and travelers are strongly advised to stay up to date on current rules.
Note: This page is being updated as official information becomes available.
What you need to know before you go
Please keep in mind that Hawaii has managed to keep COVID numbers low, and we would like to keep it that way. Mask wearing compliance if very high here, and we ask that our returning residents and visitors also comply, along with social distancing and not meeting in large groups outside of your ohana (family). The state is attempting to strike a balance between keeping communities and visitors safe and healthy, while restarting the economy.
You must test negative within 72 hours of traveling to Hawaii
Hawaii’s Safe Travel Plan requires travelers who want to legally skip the 14-day quarantine to obtain a COVID-19 test within 72 hours of their final leg of travel to the islands. The test must be an FDA-authorized nucleic acid amplification test from a certified lab that is also one of Hawaii’s trusted testing partners.Travelers are encouraged to upload Negative test results, along with the state’s mandatory travel and health form, to the Safe Travels Digital Platform at least 24 hours before traveling.
We can’t emphasize enough that the test must be conducted by a provider on Hawaii’s list. The state of Hawaii will ONLY accept test results from trusted testing and travel partners.
No test? Head straight to quarantine
Without a test, both residents and visitors, arriving from out-of-state to Hawaii are still subject to a mandatory 14-day self-quarantine, which is in effect for all Hawaiian islands. Here’s what quarantine means in Hawaii:
- It means no leaving your designated self-quarantine location for any reason—except for medical emergencies or to seek medical care.
- Food must be delivered at your own expense, so no sit-down dinners at local spots, trips to the grocery store or picnicking on the beach.
- Vacation rentals are not permitted as a quarantine location.
- Failure to follow this order is a misdemeanor and punishable by a maximum fine of $5,000 and/or 1-year imprisonment.
Prepare for a temperature check at landing + your return flight
Upon arrival, travelers will also have their temperature checked and will be required to have completed a travel & health form that includes your length of stay and return flight confirmation.
Currently, Maui is offering a voluntary second COVID-19 test after arrival. This testing is free. The state will also be randomly and voluntarily testing 10% of all arrivals four days after landing in the islands. This is intended to track trends and make program adjustments as needed.
Keep up to date
Read the State of Hawaii’s Safe Travels page for complete information before planning your trip.
Since pandemic policies and procedures are still a rapidly evolving situation, we recommend you bookmark and revisit this page. You can also find useful economic recovery information on the State’s Economic and Community Recovery Navigator.
- Indoor and outdoor social gatherings are restricted to no more than 10 people.
- Face masks must be worn in all public spaces unless exercising, eating or dealing with a medical condition.
- All people should maintain a minimum of 6-feet physical distance from people outside their household.
- Anyone who is sick should stay home or at their place of lodging
- Beach parks close at 7pm, and no grilling or tent structures are allowed
Help the community
If you would like to help those in need, the Maui Food Bank could use your support. You can donate online here: https://mauifoodbank.org/
Because of partnerships the Maui Food Bank has in place, their buying power to purchase food and other essentials is greater than we could do ourselves.
Mahalo for your continued support.
Your Destination Maui Realty Team